In case you missed it… In November WIMHS sponsored a panel discussion on “The Nuts and Bolts of Academic Careers for Women Faculty”. Participants included Drs. Lydia Howell, Diana Farmer, Martha O’Donnell & Jill Joseph (left to right).
Dr. Lydia Howell provided an overview of the 5 academic series (Ladder-Rank, In-Residence, Adjunct, Clinical X, Health Science Clinical) currently used by the UC Davis School of Medicine and advised the participants to “align yourself with the track that best fits your interests and needs”. Here are some links if you want to learn more about your series or compare definitions of academic series:
- UCD School of Medicine Academic Personnel web page: http://ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/academicpersonnel/APProcedures.html
- University of California Academic Personnel web page – including the Academic Personnel Manual (APM): http://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel/academic-personnel-policy/index.html
Advice from the panelists focused on identifying opportunities to accelerate your accomplishments, being an advocate for yourself, making sure that others understand what you contribute and developing a team of mentors to provide honest feedback.
WIMHS events provide an opportunity to connect with potential mentors and to learn more about the accomplishments of UCD scientists and physician researchers. Check out the links below to learn more about the panel and their roles as a fetal and neonatal surgeon, ischemic stroke researcher and pediatric health disparities advocate. I am continuously impressed by our female faculty members here at UC Davis School of Medicine!
- Dr. Diana Farmer – Chair of the UC Davis School of Medicine Department of Surgery http://ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/surgery/farmer.html
- Dr. Martha O’Donnell – Professor, UC Davis School of Medicine Department of Physiology and Membrane Biology http://ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/physiology/faculty/odonnell.html
- Dr. Jill Joseph – Associate Dean for Research & Professor, UC Davis Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing http://ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/nursing/ourteam/faculty/Joseph_bio.html
Upcoming events… WIMHS will be offering workshops on work/life balance – please pass this information along to any colleagues that may benefit from the following. You can register online at: http://ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/facultydev/
- Working Dads Need Career Flexibility Too: How To Integrate Work, Life and Family Thursday, November 29th 12:00 – 1:00 PM – Education Building, Room 2205 (4610 X Street, Sacramento)
- Balancing Elder and Family Care and a Faculty Career: Work-Life Integration is Not Just About Childcare Wednesday, January 9, 2013 – 12:00 – 2:00 pm – Education Building, Room TBD (4610 X Street, Sacramento)