UC Davis has developed a great reputation for Health Informatics in many ways, from a highly ranked EHRR system at UC Davis Medical Center, to leadership of Telehealth services throughout the State of California (and a new building to house it officially opening in October!), as well as a graduate group program to educate the next generation. The Institute of Population Health Improvement recently landed a $30 million contract to manage the California Cancer Registry.
In an effort to bring our collective efforts to the next level, the schools of health leaders came together this summer to launch a search for a new Director of Health Informatics Research. This new position will lead the Health System research and education efforts to develop and integrate innovative technologies; integrate large-scale electronic health records, disease registries, human genomics content, and other data repositories; advance telehealth through research and education to extend excellence in care to rural and underserved communities; create, apply and disseminate knowledge about population health and informatics; and foster inter-professional and interdisciplinary research and education approaches to resolve address health issues.
Meanwhile, with an eye to the future of educating the next generation of Health Informaticists, Dr. Edward “Ted” Shortliffe will visit UC Davis on September 18 and 19. Dr. Shortliffe is a professor at Columbia University and a nationally recognized leader in Health Informatics education. UC Davis colleagues are welcome to join the following discussions on Wed., Sept. 19, 2012 in the Education Building:
- 8:35 a.m. – 9:15 a.m. – The Role of Informatics in interprofessional education; GME, Strategic Plan Goal 3 and Goal 8.2
- 9:30 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. – Informatics Clinical Research and Improving Quality of Care, Strategic Plan Goal 8.2
- 10:15 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. – IT Foundations
- 12:15 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.- Lecture (open to all) The Future of Biomedical Informatics: A Perspective from Academia, Lecture Hall 1222
- 2:00 p.m. – 2:45 p.m.–Research Informatics at UC Davis, Strategic Plan Goal 4 and Goal 8
- 3:00 p.m. – 3:45 p.m.–Pre-review of Graduate Group in Informatics self-study
If you are interested in attending any or all sessions, please email Kristy Bird Trouchon at email@example.com before Sept. 14.